Friday, January 2, 2009

First 5 Mile Run

New Years day was extremely lazy, but I had been thinking about running all day. The original plan was to get up, run and then get on with my day but as I went downstairs to eat breakfast I made the mistake of turning on the TV to the Biggest Looser marathon and quickly became sucked in.

As the day came and went I was worried I would not have the motivation to get to the gym. I was having an internal debate when I realized I was in control and could make myself do it. I wanted to start off the new year right.

I started with a brisk 5 minute warm up walk and was off. I started my normal run 10 minutes, walk 1-2 minutes and was feeling pretty good with myself. The Biggest Looser was also helping distract me from watching my distance/time. I was feeling so good in fact I just kept running and before I knew it I had run 4.5 miles. I could not believe it. People have always said the first 3 miles are the hardest and I think they are right. I was feeling great, but stopped at 5 miles. I did not want to overdo it and I also needed to get home.

I was so proud of myself. It was the first time I have ever run 5 miles. It gave me a new confidence about the 1/2 marathon and made me excited to try it again the next day.

1/1/09 - 5.27 miles; 57.28 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment